Manhattan 2006

Monday, January 29, 2007

Spring AWOKE!

And DID IT EVER!

Craig and I saw 'Spring Awakening' last night on Broadway and it was intense! It was definitely a coming of age story, and told in a rock opera format that was both understandable and enrapturing. Given that we were in the fourth row, we got a bird's eye view of the emotion on the actors' faces (as well as noting that the main character is a singing spitter!). Craig made the most astute observation of the evening, stating that some of the audience members probably had NO idea what they were getting in to: pre-marital sex (NO!), masterbation (Egad!), homosexuality (*gasp*), suicide (oh dear), nudity (say WHA-?), abuse (eye-YAH!). Thankfully, the chatty couple behind us left at intermission.

Afterwards we hit VYNL, a Hell's Kitchen eatery and sight to behold! The place itself is a work of art, but nothing compares to the themed restrooms: Elvis! Cher! Dolly! You know something's up as you approach the bathroom door only to feel like you're entering a dressing room. Inside, you're greeted by a full wall mosaic, a shadow box shrine, and in case you can't recall whose 'dressing room' you're in, you're engulfed in a wonderfully blaring '9 to 5' or 'If I Could Turn Back Time'.

Indeed, Avid Reader, if I could turn back time, I don't know if I would. I'm getting all philosophical (though far from CraigPhillips-Philosophical!) about leaving NYC now that the end is oh so near. I've taken today and tomorrow off from work to be able to take in those Manhattan adventures I've needed to... but really it'll be organizing my life and the move back across the country. With that, I should bust a move and get the day started!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home