Manhattan 2006

Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Manic Monday!

Can all Mondays been this good? Good morning, Avid Reader! I had an awesome day yesterday and am now hoping that every one is filled with as much adventure!


Friends Deniz and Daniela coordinated a farewell dinner and we enjoyed MEGU in Tribeca. It's Restaurant Week here in New York so most restaurants have special three-course meals you can enjoy. We opted for this route, but also started with an array of incredible sushi and appetizers. Deniz and I enjoyed Kobe Beef for dinner... that we cooked ourselves over a hot stone. Of course, no dining adventure would be complete without the arrival of NYC's finest! While dining -- and of course with the restaurant not missing a beat -- 15-20 firefighters arrived to check out reports of smoke in the building. Their presence only added to the high energy of the place, including the entire staff yelling 'Welcome' in Japanese when any guest entered, the ice Buddha dominating the dining room, and the thumping bass that made listening across the table a challenge, but one of those good challenges, you know?

After dinner, we cabbed to the Meat-Packing District and to Employees Only -- a drinkery originally established to cater to employees of the service inustry (i.e. other servers and bartenders) with a history steeped in prohibition and the Depression. You wouldn't find that today as it's a popular and casual hot spot that we quite enjoyed.

The next stop was A P T where Daniela knew a popular DJ was spinning for their "Waffles are Forever" 6th Anniversary bash. Granted, we didn't get to enjoy a waffle, but did enjoy a couple of drinks, some awesome soul music (and some serious neck meat!), and more of one another's company. Yes, hungry from the evening, Deniz and I then hit nearby Pizza Bar for a chance to sit down and to have even more catch up time.

It was 11 degrees when I walked Deniz home, then to the nearest subway station. I was blessed with yet another treat -- an empty subway car (OK, save one guy) on the L train! It happened once in Paris and it happened for me in New York now as well. I don't know why I love the concept of being alone on the subway, but to me I feel like I'm the only person in the city... and it's all MINE. It's one of those things that just makes me feel that much more connected to a place.

Given that I had taken yesterday off to work against my upcoming cross-country move back to Seattle. I was home for the majority of the morning, save a run to get a bagel & OJ from the corner bagel shop, to pick up dry cleaning, and to brush shoulders with Frances McDormand. Indeed, I passed Frances on the street pushing around a couple of kiddos. The hair, the large sunglasses and the jawline were certainly dead give-aways, not to mention the trailing nanny! MEEP! MEEP! I see you, Frances!

In other news, I also dismantled the centerpiece of my apartment yesterday: the photo wall! On-and-off, it took about three hours to remove all of the photos and the dutifully applied sticking tape... which also proceeded to remove the skin from my fingertips. Good times!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home