Manhattan 2006

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

JWI Weekend 2006

What a weekend! My trip to Seattle turned into a Summer Highlight and I can't wait to tell you about it...

Thursday Night
What was to be a long flight west turned even longer as all west-bound flights were delayed from the tri-state area due to inclement weather. So, we loaded the plane on time at 5:30PM and finally took off at midnight. Yes, 6.5 hours stuck on the plane before we even left the ground. That preceded a 5.5 hour flight (they made up 45 minutes!) and I finally alit in Seattle around 2:15AM Friday morning, having hoped to have landed closer to 9:15PM. Alas.

Here's what I learned... destination is everything. While the delays were excrutiating, the thought of Seattle on the other end more than made up for the angst. I also learned that there is actually something more uncomfortable than a middle seat for 12 hours... it's a middle seat next to someone who requires a seatbelt extension because they're so large. What's more uncomfortable than that for 12 hours? A fidgety large person pressed up against you on a hot plane for 12 hours. Needless to say, I made it in one piece in time for...

Friday!
The Day of Fun started with breakfast with JesseP, included an Optometrist visit and Schezuan Bean Flower (more food!), reliving the PSBomb, an errand for Gary Little, a stop at DRIVE HQ, a Starbucks pop-in to see Amy in her green apron, and a visit to the dermatologist. All good fun… made complete by the Captain’s arrival chez John & Amy. John and I were able to catch up in the Seattle sun overlooking the Puget Sound, sharing Disneyworld and other life adventures.

Our adventure soon became bus-chasing through downtown Seattle until we found the one we were after. “Sun Tea” Nalgene in hand, we made it to Easy Street Records where we caught Pete Yorn live at his in-store performance. Note that the show will be released as an EP… be sure to listen for John and I requesting ‘The Man’ and having our wish come true! Of course, Pete may have only played it because he heard our plans to storm the stage if I didn’t get ‘The Man’ out of him. He was cordial, however, and we were as well given he played our fave! Pete was also cordial later as he signed my EP and Amy’s poster, even posing as if in the act of signing such that it looked as if I wasn’t delinquent in putting out the camera. Thanks Pete!

John and I then promised not to tell Amy, but we stopped at Dick’s so I could get a taste of home. A Deluxe and two Storm fan friends later, we raced down Queen Anne Avenue after our third bus of the day, but had to await the fourth one to get back to the condo where Amy was excited to start her night of fun with us. Mama’s Mexican Kitchen was our first stop as we prepared for the show… we made ‘Burrito’ a reality by delving into a couple of originals. Love Mama’s.

As you can imagine, Pete Yorn at the Crocodile Cafe was a ten altogether. John, Amy and I were troopers and secured a spot at the front of the stage to catch Pete and his band up close and personal. The show didn’t disappoint in any regard and we had a ball. Amy won the Song Challenge – Kudos Amy! – for correctly picking the song he played first from our three guesses. I’d like to tell you that the Captain welcomed us home with open arms, but instead it was the Prince of Sleep as we all crashed content on the summation of our Month of Fun culminating in the Day of Fun that my dear friends had scheduled for me. Thank you, you wonderful two.

JWI Saturday!!!
Satruday was the 9th annual JWI Volleyball Tournament on Mercer Island – OK, so it was officially the 8th, but no one has to know. What could have been a day of welcomed rain for the Northwest turned into a cool and calm 70-degree day… a day in which I got my first sun of the season! HOORAY!

What a great day altogether. Yes, I was sore for over two days, but each ache brought me joy… a reminder of a day of my favorite things – sun, sport, Seattle, significant people in my life. I’m not going to lie: I miss each and every one. It was a great day of ball altogether, even though I couldn’t swing with my bad shoulder. I had a tough go in pool, though with all of the parity, all of the matchups were close – and great fun.

So, yes, the answer is I finished last in my morning pool. As such, I was paired with a winner of another pool… in this case, one Ryan G. Nichols! Ryan and I played together in the Usual Suspects JWI in 2004 and finished 3rd out of eight teams. Given my steel trap memory, I remember with perfect clarity being stuff blocked by Jesse Paulson twice and shanking the final point to give Jesse and Rick Hoadley and entry in the JWI Final that year. However, that wasn’t meant to be with RG at the 2006 JWI…

Def. Mo Ramsey & Mark Kaminsky
Lost to Will Simms & Marcus Fowler
Def. Mo Ramsey & Mark Kaminsky
Def. Jesse Paulson & Jeff Cross
Def. Matt Weaver & Lee
Def. Jake Putnam & Phil Nugent
Def. Will Simms & Marcus Fowler
FINAL: Lost to Steve Whitacre & Mike Walton

Ryan and I battled our way back through the loser’s bracket to redeem ourselves against JP (sorry, Jesse!), upset Will & Marcus who knocked us into the loser-out games, then face an undefeated Steve & Mike team in the tournament finale. Ryan and I gave it a go, but ultimately fell 22-25 in front of the heckling masses. It was brilliant altogether! Though I wasn’t an ideal partner without an ability to be an offensive weapon, Ryan and I teamed up to be quite a combo. Yes, RG carried us throughout the tournament, but I’m sure I made first-team all RG Cheer Squad. I’m honored to have been able to play so well, with Ryan, and among friends.

As you can imagine, the Day of Fun and the JWI tournament more than justified the trip West. However, I actually couldn’t get enough and exteneded my trip through Tuesday such that I could take advantage of being home to get some work done, to take care of some errands, and to see some dear friends.

Sunday
I got up Sunday and enjoyed brunch with Charles Newton at Crave on Capital Hill. He and I also ventured to see the Pidducks’ home in Wallingford and to check out the remodel progress. Dan is doing amazing work there; I’m excited to see even more of the finished product. It was awesome to see Ellie Frances as well – she’s going to be a heartbreaker, you can tell already! I got to see Charles’ home and all of the work he’s done there and we ventured south to IKEA to check out bathroom storage ideas. Good times with C-Ennis altogether. I got in a nap, and then dinner at Schezuan Bean Flower with John & Amy, Jesse & Steph, and Stacey Dozono. Love that place; love those people. The night ended with Mario Party at the Paulsons (Well done, Wario! – you know who you are!!)

Monday
Monday was a work day… and a much needed one at that. I really needed to be in the Seattle office for a day. I’ve been struggling with the remoteness of our office in NYC and the fact that the teams there are all remote teams – divisional orphans if you will. It was nice to be around my DRIVE Seattle colleagues who know me, know my successes, and the story I’m trying to weave just now. I also got to spend some quality time with my immediate colleague Mike talking about work, our region, new developments, and where we are professionally. That was a much needed in-person evening at Collins Pub.

Tuesday
I flew home Tuesday with no fanfare... and was rewarded an exit row aisle seat with no one next to me. The flight east is so fast relative to west - brilliant altogether. I've now suffered through record-setting heat the past two days and as of tonight, we're finally getting much-needed thunder storms which should put this hell on ice for a bit. I've never craved 90 degrees more than I do right now.

In general, however, it's been one heckuva week since I last updated. More photos to come once I get a more stable connection. In the meantime, and as usual, please enjoy those moments I call my Weekend Highlights:

-Landing in Seattle after 12.5 hours on that plane.
-The Raccoon Greeting.
-Being able to say good morning every day to dear friends.
-Getting the full stamp of eye health.
-Schezuan Bean Flower.
-Reliving the PSBomb.
-Jaywalking in downtown Seattle.
-Smiles at DRIVE Seattle when I arrived – that felt good.
-Seeing Heather, knowing it meant I was being Gary’s b*tch, and loving every minute of it.
-Dermatologist Nurse Randy happy that I was safe and enjoying New York.
-Arriving at John’s only to set sail with the Captain on the rooftop deck.
-Beautiful Seattle!
-Running through Belltown to catch buses.
-Befriending Big Clara on the Uptown #2.
-Nalgene bottles and memories of Sun Tea.
-Introducing John to Antony & the Johnsons and his first reaction mirroring my own when I was introduced.
-Pete Yorn playing ‘The Man’ per our request.
-Dick’s! Dick’s! Dick’s!
-Rolls of quarters and valid bus transfers.
-Amy’s voice from within the condo and face peeking out the window.
-Outdoor dining at Mama’s Mexican Kitchen.
-Frou-frou drinks (that Amy!).
-Front Row concert ‘seats’.
-Being with John & Amy at the Pete Yorn show (knowing why that was important to them made it a gift to me -- thank you for letting me share this night with you, friends).
-Escaping the venue into a cool Seattle evening.
-Amy accidentally putting in my contacts and thinking she was blind.
-Ordering my Starbucks drink at a park and having it delivered.
-Seeing friends.
-That first few minutes of warming up, knowing what’s to come.
-John and I smack talking throughout the first game (John won).
-Revealing the ‘I Love NYC’ t-shirts for all of my partners.
-Customizing Mike Harper's by tearing off the sleeves – and having him actually wear it to humor me.
-Three stuff blocks vs. Will Simms & Tony Little.
-Hearing other courts trying to out-cheer me.
-Weiner Wraps!
-Sausaging one Danelle Chaddock – that’s right, it was me, yo!
-Being paired with RockStar Ryan Nichols as my tournament partner.
-Wiping away 2004’s ending with a big come from behind win.
-The Weaver Brother JWI 2006 Costumes
-Jesse’s straight talk/harsh words/threats for me to learn how to chip.
-Making it to the tournament final.
-John yelling for me to let it out or my head will pop.
-Moments of amazing silence – and realizing that I only heard people laughing/talking for the first time in six months – no cars, planes, trains, horns, sirens.
-Time with Stacy Terry.
-The after-party at Jays – seeing the two distinct groups, but knowing I could break through… and doing so.
-Being on the same page as John & Amy.
-Making an honest and expedient exit.
-The shower.
-Brunch with Charles.
-The Pidduck's raised home.
-Ellie Frances Pidduck.
-Schezuan Bean Flower x2!
-Mario Party.
-Friendly Starbucks baristas.
-Specialty’s croissant.
-Dome Burger.
-The DRIVE posse.
-Sharing an office for the day with Jason Runge.
-“Pepto and Privacy”.
-Real time with Mike Dunnigan.
-Six beers between us for only $24 – with tip.
-House shopping and YouTube-ing with John & Amy.
-<-QFC Adventures with the Paulsons.
-Enabling Steph to eat ice cream.
-Mario Tennis.
-Nothing but JP time all morning.
-The Mia Moment.
-Tracking down my debit card.
-Exit Row Aisle Seats.
-Neighborless flights.
-Looking forward to this bed as my bed.
-Air conditioning.

-Remembering each moment here with perfect clarity.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home