Manhattan 2006

Sunday, October 01, 2006

H.O.M.E.

I enjoyed yet another West Coast adventure this past weekend! It felt so good to be back. Wait... that’s a lie. It actually felt *magical*. So, two highlights of the trip before it actually even started:

1. Traveling with my friend and colleague, Saskia Galbraith, who I got to trounce at Sets & Runs (a.k.a. Barnyard) and introduce to the lovely Amelie Poulin.

2. Getting some quality time with one fabulous Amy McKenna as our Newark airport flights overlapped. Subway sandwiches never tasted so good! Seriously, have one with Amy... it'll be the best sandwich you've ever had!

But on to the trip... I stayed at Sally’s house (Thank You, Sally!) and went with her to work early Friday morning. She works near Pike Place Market, so our first stop was the original Starbucks, where we snapped a shot with her favorite barista, Chris. After coffee, I walked through the Market nearly by myself – accompanied only by the various florists and fish mongers setting up for the day. The best arrangements of the day were out; the place smelled of fish. Still, I nearly skipped through the Market and stopped to belt out ‘Greatest Love of All’. Yes, it was one of those moments and one where I fell in love with Seattle all over again.

I met John Weaver after work to pre-func at the new Elysian Fields. We enjoyed a couple of rounds before being joined by Jesse Paulson and Moses Lundquist for Guys Night Out at Safeco Field. In the vein of reliving the dream, we stopped first at Marv’s Hotdog stand, then enjoyed Fan Appreciation Night (free posters!). Given the occasion, we found a discounted beer stand near our seats and committed to being the best fans in the stadium! Normally reserved for staff only, our friendships with the beer maids was cemented over the course of several visits throughout the game (what game?!). Our foursome met up with friends in the Center Field bar – still mandating return visits to the discount beer stand – where we finished the game (what game?!) and added to the storied evening.

Post-game, we drove to West Seattle to the Causey home to Brian’s Farewell Bash before he heads to Sydney for two months for work. There were a lot of familiar faces, including Tim, Kiera and Jay, Megan & Patrick. By this time, Jesse was effectively in Physical Stage and Moses was content contemplating ceiling texture on the couch. John and I, on the other hand, were more camera- and avoid-JessePaulson- happy. As an ode to New York and in the vein of ‘It’s Todd’s Night’, we enjoyed Dick’s before trekking home to chalk the night up to success!

The trip wouldn’t have been a success without a stop at Schechuan Bean Flower, so Sally, Jesse, Steph and I made it a reality for lunch. After which we toured LUMEN, an under-construction condominium complex at 5th & Mercer – right across from what will be the new Gates Foundation Campus. We’re considering an investment property there, but what was SO funny was the positioning of my visit… a friend from New York City… looking to invest in a second home, etc. BRILLIANT! I felt so important and powerful. You gotta love Marketing!

Other highlights, of course:

- Visiting the soon-to-be-parents Kadlecs at my townhouse! Seeing the nursery and what Chantelle has done to the garden was awesome. It was a bit strange (but also felt oddly as it should be) to be a guest in my own home. So good to see them... and I should soon be getting reports of a little Kadlec running around!

- The Bakers’ beautiful wedding at the Woodmark Hotel on Carillon Point.

- The rousing three-way tie for second place in Mario Party! Even more of a highlight? John’s three-peat visit to the House of Stars without an ability to purchase a single one… in one single go!

- Sunday brunch with Charles Newton at my old Fremont jaunt, Persimmon. Oh, and the Celebrity Look-Alike Game with the server. I swear to God she's Uma's sister to this day.

- Being joined at Sunday Brunch with Charles by Heidi LaHart! Shared conquests, roommate drama, and DCBombs galore have all framed our history. And it's one of the most beautiful frames I have on the Story Wall that is my life. Love you, Heidi LaHart!

1 Comments:

  • Dude, I want to do....

    brunch with you next time you're in town. Call me!! (425)281-6862. I was in FREMONT on SUNDAY, too. Damn....!

    By Blogger ME, at 8:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home