Manhattan 2006

Thursday, July 06, 2006

Game On!

I'm back in the gym! Yes, while Central Park is huge, there's really not a large contingent of grass volleyballers here in Manhattan. There are a handful of sand courts, but during the summer months, indoor volleyball is in full swing! Of course, you may think this bonkers, but the fact is, there isn't a lot of space to set up tons of courts... and quite frankly, it's HOT and the gyms are air-conditioned!

My buddy Brian Wallace from Seattle and I went to an open try-out Tuesday night for the NY Urban Professionals Volleyball League. Turns out it's a disorganized Underdog Sports Leagues (HOLLA, ShawnD!) in that there are all levels of play with built in social opportunities after. The difference is that instead of a night or two, they have 180 teams during the summer, play on all nights of the week, and all around the city.

We played a total of 20 minutes over the course of two hours, but ended up getting together with a crew of pretty good players to form what will be our Summer 2006 men's team: Ari Gold. We're eight guys and scrimmaged tonight against a team to figure out which of the 20 divisions we'll be playing in (numbered 1 thru 20; 1 being the best). I'm excited to be playing again and am excited about this team. It'll be scrappy, but we have the right guys in the right spots... just not a lot of team/position play per se. But here's to Brian (MB), Brian (Opp), Mark (MB), Tommy (L/DS), Jing (S), David (OH), and Jefferson (OH)! Lucky me, I'm the team Utility Player! I ended up setting and playing middle last night; I DS'd and played some Opposite tonight. I promise to provide updates as the season starts and progresses!

All in all, it feels good to be exercising again -- apart from walking this huge city. Let's see if we can get the body back in some semblance of shape. GOOD TIMES!

And in work-related, but similarly "Game On!" news, I presented the NE Territory Development Plan today. Nailed it. Felt awesome. Time to execute. Many thanks to Beyonce Ferdandez for letting me be her Excel apprentice all these years.


p.s. Hello Kris McKenna!

1 Comments:

  • Please note that the photo of Jeremy Piven is not a celebrity sighting or skin touch. He plays Ari Gold on 'Entourage' and I used this photo from the HBO.com site to represent my team name. Again, not a celebrity sighting. Bummer, I know.

    By Blogger toddderrick, at 2:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home