Manhattan 2006

Monday, June 26, 2006

The Early Bird Gets...

...a PACKED subway!

Because I've felt the "need" to completely unplug of late, yet with a thousand things on my mind, I was up at 4:30 this morning and decided that instead of laying there I would get up and get the day started. Killing two birds with one stone, I would also have the benefit of a slow morning, breakfast, a Starbucks stop, and a seat on the subway.

Boy, was I ever mistaken!

As I walked to the subway, I thought to myself how peaceful NYC seemed so early in the morning. It was 6AM, I knew Starbucks would be open so slowly made my way through down 3rd, across 87th and over to Lexington. The Starbucks line was efficient (as there were only three customers ahead of me); the papers were just being delivered; the air wasn't yet stale. I swear birds were chirping. And were those fawns and fairies frollicking?

I descend into the subway without having to merge in traffic to get down the stairs, notice only a few folks standing here and there for the Downtown 6 Local and decide to take the Express. I'll never know if taking the Local this morning would have been better, but the Express was JAMMED! There seemed to be a plethora of service or construction workers based on the uniforms and lunch tins.

The lesson is this... in a city of 8MM people, prepare to share.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home